Doing Business in Chapin
Chapin has a diverse and growing business community, and we appreciate your interest in locating a business in the Town of Chapin.
For helpful steps on starting your business, check out our Starting a New Business in Chapin Checklist (PDF).
Here are a few helpful tips to get you started:
- Check with our Zoning Administrator to ensure the location(s) you are considering are properly zoned for the business you seek to conduct. You may require a Zoning Permit if you are modifying your building and a Sign Permit, too.
- Upon receiving zoning approval, please complete our Town of Chapin Business License Application (PDF) and pay the appropriate fee. Business license fees are based upon the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes and the gross income earned. Each annual license shall expire December 31st of the calendar year issued and is renewable from January 1 until April 15 of each calendar year.
- Chapin's business license ordinance requires that every person engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession or maintaining an office(s) within the town limits of Chapin is required to obtain a business license.
- If you are a business located outside the town limits and will be performing work within the towns limits, a business license is still required.
- You will need to check with our Utilities Department to ensure water and sewer availability - Application for Utility Service.
Please note that the above processes do not cover possible permitting that businesses may need from other government bodies, such as the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control or Department of Social Services. Please contact those agencies directly for information about their permit process.
For those interested in starting a business in Chapin but need help getting started. Please visit the Chamber of Commerce for information and resources on starting a business in South Carolina.